MLA Works Cited Page
Creating a Works Cited Page
The following guidelines and sample works cited will assist you in formatting your works cited. See the “CCHS Standard Works Cited Format” for examples of less common works cited entries. This handout is available in the library.
- Begin your Works Cited on a separate page after the last page of your research paper
- There should be a 1 inch margin on all sides of the page and your last name and page number are in the header – right side.
- Use Times New Roman 12 point font; nothing in bold or italics
- Center the words Works Cited at the top of the page as a heading
- Double-space all lines
- All entries should be listed in a hanging indent format; to create a hanging indent in Word 1997-2003
- Place the cursor in the first entry, select Format, then Paragraph.
- Under Indentation, use the Special drop down box to select Hanging.
- Arrange the items in your Works Cited alphabetically by author’s last name
- If an entry has no author, arrange it by the first word of the title (exclude the words a, an, and the)
- Each in-text citation must be referenced in the Works Cited list
- Each entry in the Works Cited list must be cited at least once in the text.